Just as important as how much you’re eating, is what foods you’re eating. Some nutrients and foods that have been found to enhance the immune system include:
- Vitamin C-rich foods, like citrus fruit and broccoli
- Vitamin E-rich foods, like nuts and whole grains
- Zinc-rich foods, like beans, turkey, crab, oysters, and beef
- Bioflavanoids, which are found in fruits and vegetables
- Selenium-rich foods, like chicken, whole grains, tuna, eggs, sunflower seeds, and brown rice
- Carotenoid-rich foods, like carrots and yams
- Omega-3 fatty acids, found in nuts, salmon, tuna, mackerel, flaxseed oil and hempseed oil
Of course, you can find these nutrients in pill form, but food is always the best and most usable source of vitamins and minerals. Supplements can be shady, since no regulating body ensures that they contain what they claim to, or that they’ll be absorbed as well as nutrients you get from food.
Also, get enough sleep, exercise regularly and manage your life stressors!